WAFL: Subiaco go down in tight Qualifying Final

Tuesday, September 5, 2023 - 9:38 AM by Matt Paddick


Subiaco fell in a 10-point thriller to Peel Thunder in the Qualifying Final at Leederville Oval on Saturday September 2.

There were several momentum changes throughout the contest, with both sides dominating at different stages of the game.

Trailing by 16 points in the final term, the Lions gave it their all to try and win.

Ben Sokol kicked three majors to give his side the lead late.

However, a couple of late goals to the Thunder saw them pull ahead, leaving the Lions to reset.

Max Walters played an important role, using the ball effectively with his 15 disposals, kicking two goals.

Meanwhile, vice-captain Drew Rohde led strongly from defence, keeping Docker Tom Emmett quiet for the majority of the contest.

The result means the Lions will host Claremont in the first Semi Final at Leederville Oval on Sunday September 10.

With the Thunder welcoming back a host of Fremantle players to it’s side, it was never going to be easy going for Subiaco.

However, it took just 47 seconds for the Lions to get on the board, with Max Walters putting through the first goal of the match.

Repeat inside 50s for the side went unrewarded on the scoreboard, until it was Walters again who kicked truly.

For all of the Lions’ play, Peel were able to counter quickly, kicking back to back goals to take the lead at quarter time.

Subiaco made the second term their own, restricting the Thunder to just one behind.

With the breeze heading toward the city end, the Lions looked to take advantage, keeping the ball in their forward half for the majority of the quarter.

Michael Braut kicked a goal from straight in front, before Zac Clarke nailed his set shot to create a buffer.

Defender Drew Rohde soon after was in the action, kicking a goal after his direct match up made an error in the Lions’ forward 50.

Jack Mayo also put one through the big sticks, but some tough chances that went through for minor scores stopped the lead from extending further than 28 points at the half.

Despite being against the breeze, the Lions continued to take the fight to Peel in the third quarter.

In the first 15 minutes, Subiaco had three behinds to Peel’s 1.1, but the Thunder continued to press.

They kicked the next six goals of the match, with the Lions down by 16 points early in the final quarter.

Although he hadn’t had the game he would have liked, Ben Sokol stood up early in the last to give Subiaco a spark.

Ryan Borchet found Mayo for a goal, before Sokol put through his second to bring the margin back to three points.

A third goal to Sokol had the Lions in front, before two late goals to Peel sealed the match for the Thunder.


SUBIACO 2.0 6.8 6.11 10.14 (74)

PEEL THUNDER 2.3 2.4 8.9 12.12 (84)


Goals: Sokol 3, Walters 2, Mayo 2, Clarke, Braut, Rohde.

Best: Walters, Rohde, Robbins, Clarke.